Sunday, August 10, 2014

Conversion Series: UK5 The Eye of the Serpent

I ran across this module in a stack of stuff that a friend gave me, and though I had thumbed through it before, I never got to read or run it. Last week, I was hanging out with a nephew that I rarely get to see, and since this is a "one-on-one" adventure, I decided to run it for him. One of my sons jumped in and they were off.

For them, I ran it as B/X/AD&D, and I really liked it a lot. Great balance between wilderness survival-type encounters, and straight up fights. The characters have no real goal, other than getting off of the mountain after being deposited near the pinnacle by a couple of rocs (I used giant winged serpents, just to mix it up), and a kind of story develops as they fight the elements and sparse fauna while descending the mountain.

Tonight, we only had two folks for the home game, so I pulled it out again and converted it on the fly for DCC. The two characters were cavemen from +Michael Curtis's Frozen in Time. These two were left behind when the rest of the caveman group were transported...forward? Maybe sideways in time to Praeder Island and the City of the Baboon Men

Anyway... these two unfortunate souls had to traipse back to their village, almost empty handed. There the village elders asked them to deliver the Gift of Suss (which was why the intrepid 0-level group was sent out there in the first place). Young Wolf-Slaughterer refused to give up the Mona Lisa (spoilers), and the village elders had the two thrown in the village pit for various crimes. Late that night, friends of the two helped them out, gave them a bag of food and a couple of knives and sent them off in the night toward the closest village (Wet Stone, a fishing village on the coast where one of the friends had a sister).

On the way, the ubiquitous rocs (kept them for this one) swept down and flew them almost a day away far out over the ocean to a large, mountainous island, where the PCs were unceremoniously deposited in the roc's nest near the peak of an icy mountain. From this vantage, they could see a wide, mountain-bound valley stretching away for miles. A river, that began its life in an icy lake hundreds of feet below, coursed through the valley, and out onto the plains, snaking for miles to a wide lake and waterfall, down into a thick, primeval forest. In the center of this lake, like a snake's eye, sat an island.

Digressing from the module, I had a hungry baby roc for the characters to fight (no problem), and after gathering up some supplies left behind by previous roc meals, they were off.

I posted my conversion notes over here: UK5 Conversion Notes. If I have time, I'll keep this up through the whole module -- monsters and the hardships of the wilderness. What's not noted are the effects of cold (which I made minimal, but present in the upper part of the valley). Rather than having the egg (Area 6) hatch, I'm saving that for the end of the adventure -- possibly throw a dungeon under the island shrine they find there. Haven't decided yet.

Anyway -- I highly recommend this module, either in the original B/X/AD&D or DCC. With two first level DCC characters, they have been equal to all threats, though the unforgiving conditions are starting to take their toll.

Edit: You can pick up a PDF copy of UK5 Eye of the Serpent at RPGNow...

No comments: