Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Working Through the Ketsueki Empire, Part II.

By Amdominator on Deviant Art! 
I want to use the spell duel design more often in games (to date, they've only come up once in actual play), and I was struggling to find a way to represent the single combat conceit of the samurai of the Ketsueki Empire. In the period of Japanese history on which the Ketsueki Campaign is based, samurai fought battles essentially one-on-one. The most honorable/skilled samurai from each army would meet between two poised armies and duel it out until one or the other was dead. Then a group of samurai from each army would individually duel. Before long, there was a general melee of individuals dueling before it devolved into what you would understand was a "traditional" battle.

Several years ago, I wrote a sub-system for the Sengoku game that dealt with Go, the Japanese strategy board game. I had a scene in one adventure that required a character to beat a demon at go, and I didn't want the scene to be a simple skill versus skill check, because not only would that be anticlimactic, but it also wouldn't capture the nuances of go. Sengoku, even though it was a chanbara game, had a lot to do with the nuances of the Japanese culture in the 1500s. So, anyway, I developed a more complex system of advantage/disadvantage at various stages of a typical go match, that all resolved to bonus/penalties to the final skill roll.

So, anyway, I combined the wildness of the spell duel system with the design conceit of the Go simulator to get something that I hope you will like.

To play it, take any two DCC characters with a Deed die (samurai character is assumed) and pit them against each other.

And as always, tell me what you think!

Samural Duels! 

No comments: