Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Swords & Wizardry: The Curse of Cragbridge

The Swords & Wizardry ruleset has always been a favorite OSR flavor of mine. I've run a thief named Samuil Marco in +Jason Sholtis' Operation Unfathomable game for years now.

Here's ole' Sam, the semi-ex-junkie, planescaphe pilot, and the co-boss of a gang of thugs called the Axe of Douches. As envisioned by Chris Brandt (another player in the game) and Jason, himself.

Sam had some issues with some chaos stuff (thus his eyes are full of stars and his hair dances on end and flashes in psychedelic colors). I think Jason always forgets that Sam managed to wrest a magical trident from some big bad that we critted/backstabbed to death in one round. The trident auto-hits once per day for max damage. Sam's a thief. It's really ugly.

Art by +Jason Sholtis 
Art by +Chris Brandt 



















Anyway -- I've played a lot of White Star by +James Spahn - which is sci-fi action based on the Swords and Wizardry Whitebox version of the rules. But you probably already knew that. You might not know that I wrote a couple things for White Star -- You can see them on the right there. Couple of one-pagers and a full adventure set in a futuristic early World War II.

All that to say, that S&W is a great ruleset. So easy to write for. So simple to run. I originally published The Curse of Cragbridge as a Labyrinth Lord adventure, but recently converted it over to DCC RPG. I had conceived the adventure as bringing the DCC RPG conceit to Labyrinth Lord/OD&D-esque rulesets. The original monsters, strange magic, and other weirdness with DCC RPG has always been the way I played and run my D&D games. Because, if I have to fight another goblin, stirge or giant rat, I'm going to off myself.

So, here's The Curse of Cragbridge for Swords & Wizardry.

This version has the same fantastic cover by +Gennifer Bone,  great interior art from +Jason Sholtis +Wayne Snyder as well as some additional art by Jacob Blackmon, Malcolm McClinton and Gary Dupis.


I hope you enjoy it and please let me know what you think!


No comments: